Saturday, September 3, 2011

Pinks In the Duwamish

Today was the Herding of the Pinks event on the Duwamish. The hot area was just downstream of the 1st Avenue S. bridge. I fished an intermediate line and the fish preferred a larger fly than in the past. Most everyone thinks the fish are bigger this run than last–I concur. Several fish gave my Scott 6 weight almost more than it could handle. The first fish took me 30 yards into my backing and one fish I never landed and was glad the hook pulled out. Next time I carry a bigger stick.

Most of the fish took on a fairly slow retrieve–much slower than what the hoochie and bombers using.

Here are some launch sites: just upstream from 1st Ave S. bridge, T107, and Duwamish Waterway Park. Explore and you’ll find other as well. Make sure to read the regs before heading out.