Saturday, September 3, 2011

Snohomish River Pinks

Ian Brodie took me to his secret honey hole on the Snohomish River yesterday evening. The spot is so secret that there were only about 200 people lining the banks, plus several boats. Some folks brought tents to camp for the night, campfires dotted the shoreline as we walked out at dusk. Maybe it wasn't so secret after all.

It did have fish some of which were perfectly willing to play. We each hit three. My first was starting to hump up, the last was nice and bright. Muscled up to a 7/8 weight rod. The bigger fish this year have been tough to control on my 6 weight. Since I'm releasing all my fish, makes sense to end the fight sooner so they can go make more pinks for 2013.

Always experimenting with patterns, ranging from a Flashabou Pink Comet to Fuchsia Bugger tied with trilobal yarn instead of chicken hackle. Favorite fly so far--fuchsia rabbit tail, couple strands of silver flashabou, dubbed fuchsia sparkle yarn body. I'll add some weight at the head for fishing during brisk tide changes or fast stream flows.